Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Friday, December 16, 2005

Apparently, Continuity And Structural Integrity Mean Nothing To The Producers Of Friends

I've become a fan of the show Friends. It’s taken me a lot of years to muster up the courage to say that. But every time I watch it, I seem to crack up. A girl I work with is a bigger fan of it than I am, and she owns most of the seasons on DVD. I borrowed them and burned them. But not before copying them. No, no, no. I kid. When I say “burn,” I really mean “copy.” It’s how the young people talk these days.

I didn’t just mooch off of her though. No, I believe in a fair trade. So I burned a few movies for her in return. The Best of Will Ferrell I & II. Swingers. Office Space. Anyway...

Recently, while watching episodes here and there, picking and choosing from one season or another, I made a startling discovery. Carefully examine these screenshots I took straight from the DVD’s. This is season 1, episode 2 (after the Pilot), The One With The Sonogram At The End.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Everything seems to be in order. Now, let’s skip ahead to season 3, episode 1, The One With The Princess Leia Fantasy. Here is a screenshot from that episode.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Notice anything? Anything missing? That’s right, the support beam.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now, judging from the perspective, the angle, the depth, I've determined the approximate location of the support beam in question had it still existed during Season 3.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now, heh-heh, are we to believe that the structural integrity of the apartment was such that support beams could be taken away willy-nilly without consequence?

Do you remember that episode called The One Where The Apartment Ceiling Collapsed? Yeah, me neither. Hmm, funny.

Sorry, Producers of Friends, but I’m just not able to suspend disbelief to such an extent.

14 Comments:

At 2:27 AM, Blogger Ripsy said...

It also seems like the oven disappeared.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Andy said...

No, I think that's just the angle. Unless... they've done away with spacetime all together??? :O

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Notice the amount of brick wall in the upper left corner of the one showing the support beam. We dont go that far left in the one that's missing the beam.

Also, keep in mind that it's not real people or a real apartment. Those emails you've been sending to Rachel and Chandler? I'm sorry, but they're like the notes you leave for Santa by the tree.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Andy said...

Notice the amount of brick wall in the upper left corner of the one showing the support beam. We dont go that far left in the one that's missing the beam.

Angle, angle, angle. The camera is not in the same spot. In the second picture, it's moved to the left and back further. The beam would be more or less in the projected spot.

Face it, Friends has been lying to you. To me. To us all.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger 52X Max said...

I think they hired a very good civilian engineer who took care of it, or maybe stephen hawking, who altered the space/time continuity or something, you know, very scientific and stuff XD

BTW, Office Space rocks

 
At 2:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and if you can't trust your friends, who can you trust?

The apartment did change though. Just like in The Nanny - the house in the first episode was totally different to the house from most of the episodes.

Dang, I thought I got that tv show out of my mind. Now I've got a nasally soundbite of "Mr. Sheffield!" screaming in my brain.... nooooooo...

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Syar said...

hey, I never noticed that. did the support beam on the right (my right, not yours...no, no, the OTHER right) disappear too? I remember that was where baby ben banged his head after monica was playing aeroplane with him and he started saying "monica bang!", which happens to be one of my favourite lines of the series.

and anycollegestudent, don't go bringing santa into this! rachel and chandler will reply my emails...just you wait.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger SnowQueen said...

yeah everythings all reaaranged as well i mean wheres the oven? the sink is in a totally different place whats up with that?

check out my new blog where i ruin childhood icons with fun scandals

http://thefacinatingadventuresof.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Caro said...

yay for pointing out other people's mistakes!! in one episode of friends, they were in that same apartment except they were sitting on the couches around the coffee table. there was a silver kettle-type thing on the coffee table, and you could see the reflections of all the lights above the sets!

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Luke said...

I'm shocked! Appalled. This I cannot stand for. I am writing this show and demanding they take it off the air!

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Mischa said...

Maybe the real reason they finished the show is because they kept making mistakes like that...?!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger GrrlScientist said...

i couldn't help it, i had to nominate you for a Koufax Award for the most humorous blog category.

GrrlScientist

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You watch Friends? On purpose? And you enjoy it? I have no brother... *begins returning Xmas gifts* Hmmm... having no brother makes my bank statement look better. LOL

I still can't believe there was enough "Best" of Will Ferrell that they could produce a Volume 2. ;)

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Regirlfriend said...

Ok Andy, I have all 10 seasons. Don't judge.

If you watch the commentaries at the end of the discs (where the producers dub their comments over the episode) they are always pointing out inconsisitincies and laughing about them. It's like they're proud or something. Yeah the medical marvel thing with Ross always got me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home