Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Monday, October 17, 2005

Kids Love Boxes

Last week I was walking through Andrea's with a small box in my hand. As a business that receives a lot of deliveries every day, we deal with large amounts of cardboard. Sometimes I'm just walking around carrying cardboard for no reason. We do our part though; we recycle. But its presence in the store is felt by everyone. Some have even suggested that the cardboard has its own personality. Like it's alive.

Anyway, I was walking through an aisle when this little girl, maybe five or six years old, asked me what I was carrying. I told her it was just a box. She asked me if she could have it. She had such a look of awe and amazement on her face that I couldn't very well say no. So, I gave it to her. Gee wiz, by her reaction, you would have thought I had just given her a dream house made of magic, rainbows, and chocolate.

Her mother smiled, and I was happy to bring a little joy into that young girl's life.

Today, I saw that same girl and her mother in the store again. As they were leaving, I said hello to the two of them and ask the little girl how the box was doing. "Oh, it's great," said the girl. "It's my friend, and we do everything together! I love my cardboard box, and I'll never let him go!"

It was pretty adorable. Her mother smiled, gave a chuckle, and shrugged her shoulders. I opened and held the door for them on their way out. The mother said thank you, and the little girl waived excitedly and said bye. I watched them get into their car. They were both smiling. They seemed like a happy family. And then I saw the box in the back window. I laughed to myself.

But suddenly, two hands sprouted from the sides of the box. And a mouth formed on the front. Then two big eyes. But these weren't happy eyes. They were terror-stricken. And as the car left the parking lot, the box mouthed some words in my direction. I'm not certain, but I think it said, "Help me."

12 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Blogger Minlen said...

I ate a piece of card-board once. I nearly died. I hope the box is getting what it deserves.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger jazz said...

i just hope the box was wearing his seat belt.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Carney Man said...

The eagle flies north during the final breath of a sea otter. If you understand that, then you must liberate that box immediately. The safety of your entire department store depends on it. A man in a rain coat will meet you in the park by the pigeons. Go now.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Syar said...

that box is headed for a life of glitter, glue, macaroni and sharp things handled by adults.

it better be scared.

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Mischa said...

Poor damn box. We have murderous clothes sacks where I work - as you're walking past they jump out from behind the boxes and try to trip you up. Then as you're lying dazed on the floor, they laugh. They laugh. It's horrible.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Jason said...

You see. *This* is why I don't like being nice to children.

Won't somebody please think of the cardboard!?!

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Malkin said...

Oh come on now people! Feeling sorry for the box! It could be housing a homeless person. Can you imagine how it would feel then?

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Mischa said...

Erm...dirty, wet and smelly?

 
At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one thought of me.I would have been happy with the other recycled boxes.

Instead I'm sitting here with pencil holes in my sides cuz that little skank wanted me to have "cute widdle dimples".

Thanks alot.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Katie said...

That poor, pathetic, misplacen box! What have you done andy?!

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was seven I lived in a box for a summer. Don't feel sorry for the box! Feel sorry for the mom who has to live with this nasty, beat up box and be embarrased when the little girl won't go anywhere without it. My mom dragged my box to the curb after a couple months when she got sick of my smell. I refused to leave my box for baths.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger PureViLmay said...

hahaa...poor box.

think she named it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home