Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Whole Muslim Cartoon Issue

I've been following pretty closely the controversy over some European newspapers printing an offensive cartoon involving the prophet Mohammad. The outrage in the Muslim world has turned deadly now as four people have been killed during protests in Afghanistan. Buildings have been set ablaze, and protests in general have been getting, more increasingly, out of control.

While I sympathize with the angered Muslim world, I cannot help but question their reaction. Now, obviously, the Muslim people do not act as a single entity; there are millions of Muslims around the world, each with his or her own individuality. You can't make broad-sweeping generalizations about a group of people based on one member. However, to those members of the Muslim community who are protesting violently and setting things on fire, I will say this:

STOP ACTING LIKE THE WORLD'S
IGNORANT, STEREOTYPICAL VIEW OF YOU!


It's bizarre to me. It's difficult to really describe my feelings on the matter. Except maybe through interpretive dance. But since you can't see me, and this isn't a video blog, I'll just draw it out.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

8 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger Syar said...

I agree. a newspaper in malaysia actualy *dared* to show the cartoons and the editor resigned last week, immediately after they were shown. he's been backpedalling and kissing ass all week.

I don't remember ever choosing that dude in the cartoon as representative of my religion. maybe I missed that memo.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Awesome. The illustrations really show exactly how it works. Fantastic, thank you.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger 52X Max said...

yep!!!

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger glo said...

I totally get their upset. It was offensive. But a nice letter-writing campaign would have been so much more European, don't you think? We don't invade Europe, so they totally should pretend to be us. Better yet, they should be us. Yeah. That's it. And then give us oil. PERFECT!! I'm a political genius! Pass the Nobel prize!

Great dance, btw. I'm premiering it on the west coast next week.

Man. I've missed this place.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dude you are totally gonna be fatwa-ed.

Watch out for any armed bearded men in Kenosha.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger A said...

Total agreement on that. Although I think what really caused the reaction was not the 'voilent' image of Muslims, it was the fact that they drew the Prophet. But having said that, yeah you have a point and that kind of voilent reaction is not only unjustified, it's stupid.

http://www.dawn.com/2006/02/05/ed.htm#4 has an interesting perspective on the subject btw.

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure it wasn't Marmaduke? Marmaduke makes me angry enough to torch stuff. Always knocking stuff over with those enormous paws.

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say that what ever they did but we have to ceased from such practice as a lesson learn, and to suggest that all should respect each other religion this is not the only job of Muslims to show anger but non Muslims shouldn't do such kind of fucking job that set which lead us to world war 3.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home