My 100 Things List
I've seen a lot of these lists around, including one by my future wife Jasmine.* Essentially, it's a list of 100 random things about yourself. I think it reveals quite a bit about a person, and I think everyone should do one. It's almost like therapy. Except no one's here to blame you. "Here, lie down on this couch," the therapist says. "No, you idiot! That couch!" the therapist says. "Gah! No wonder you're in therapy!" the therapist says.
It's just you. So, you blame you.
So, anyway, here it is. There's some small, mundane things, not to be confused with the large, mundane things. There's a few more important things listed as well. But, I've already toyed with you enough. Enjoy.
1. I'm from medium sized city in southeastern Wisconsin.
2. I'm an English major, though I hated English in high school.
3. I'm 22.
4. I'm about 6 feet tall.
5. I'm pretty shy in real life, though I still crack jokes when I can.
6. I'm completely liberal.
7. I think liberalism is about always evolving.
8. I think conservatism is about going against the natural grain.
9. I love The Daily Show. America the Book may be the funniest book ever written.
10. I played baseball through high school, but the higher you go, the more it becomes a job.
11. I just wanted to play the game.
12. I work out and run when I'm depressed.
13. I'm in pretty good shape right now.
14. I got a mohawk in NY because I had some anonymity.
15. Sense of humor in girls is more important than anything else.
16. I think people who aren't part geek aren't normal.
17. People are way too inconsiderate in theaters.
18. I like playing video games, though I haven't had the urge to play in a while.
19. I'm afraid that I'm growing out of them.
20. Interning in NYC was the scariest thing I've ever done.
21. Interning in NYC was the greatest thing I've ever done.
22. I like to read and write.
23. I'm a recovering Star Wars geek.
24. I'm a drummer.
25. I don't really drink much.
26. I don't smoke.
27. I've done marijuana, but then I graduated high school.
28. I know almost nothing about women, but I don't pretend to know a lot.
29. I love video game music remixes.
30. I like anime, though I think 85% of it is utter crap.
31. I can skateboard, though I've sort of outgrown it.
32. I found out about Santa when I was 10, the Easter bunny the day after.
33. I love The Onion.
34. My family is middle class.
35. My favorite film is Blade Runner.
36. I love Sci-Fi.
37. I love Office Space.
38. I get annoyed by people who chew with their mouth open and
generally lack basic manners.
39. My friends tell me I'm too nice.
40. I am too nice.
41. I think empathy is the key to nice people.
42. I think stubborn pride is the key to assholes.
43. There's nothing I'd rather do in college other what I am doing.
44. I started a satirical newspaper with a friend in college, called The State.
45. I'm going after a writing career because I like writing, not because of any money reasons. If I can make a decent living doing it, I'll be happy.
46. Programs on PBS generally fascinate me.
47. I like girls who are nice, but with a wicked sense of humor.
48. Also, I like hoop earrings on a girl — not sure why, but they just do something for me.
49. Yes... hoop earrings.
50. I hate winter; I'm a warm weather person.
51. I could never meet a girl at a club a start making out with her immediately.
52. But sometimes I wish I could.
53. I've got rhythm and I think I could dance okay.
54. I'm fascinated by 80's pop culture.
55. And I wish I lived in the world of classic 80's high school films.
56. I love to watch shows about science.
57. I built the computer I'm using right now.
58. I like watching baseball on TV, but I hate TV baseball commentators.
59. Radio commentary is much better.
60. I've been downloading Desperate Housewives episodes.
61. Desperate Housewives is not a bad show, I must admit.
62. I watch Smallville, I think, because deep down I wish I was a superhero.
63. I want a female, Jewish, Black president just to shake things up.
64. I believe in Evolution.
65. I don't know if I believe in God.
66. I'm afraid of the reactions I'll get if I say I don't.
67. I'm a Simpsons geek.
68. I also think the show has run its course, and should have been stopped years ago.
69. I'm afraid people who know me will read this list, but whatever.
70. I think The X-Files is the greatest dramatic series in TV history.
71. I start a fresh notebook when I begin a new writing project.
72. I have nearly-fresh notebooks everywhere.
73. I hate being seen as a know-it-all.
74. Sometimes I stay quiet when I do know something, or can prove someone wrong.
75. Reality TV sucks.
76. Even if watch happily at any point, it still sucks.
77. I think religious figures in politics are despicable.
78. Yeah, Pat Robertson. He's a douche bag.
79. I'm always afraid of missing opportunities.
80. When I want to ask a girl out, I'm almost afraid for her, so then I don't.
81. And when I'm really interested in a girl, I'm usually too much of a sissy to do anything about it.
82. I don't believe awkward situations would exist if people just tried.
83. People who say, "I'm Rick James, Bitch!" under non-sarcastic pretenses are stupid.
84. People who say, "I'm Rick James, Bitch!" to make fun of 83's are cool.
85. I don't want to own a lot of stuff.
86. I'm constantly donating things and throwing things out.
87. I could see myself trading my life for someone else's.
88. I think Harry Potter is worth reading. Not just for kids.
89. I think if you make fun of someone who is crippled, you should be immediately crippled.
90. I already mentioned empathy, but I think empathy is the key to any kind of world peace.
91. I think Friends is a hilarious show.
92. I just don't like the sappy parts — I'm not a chick.
93. I know a girl who is drop dead gorgeous.
94. But I like her for her personality (and I can prove it).
95. And it kind of freaks me out.
96. I think the Phantom Menace was the best of the Star Wars prequels and, though Jar Jar is not the best character, it became hip to trash, and everyone jumped on the bandwagon.
97. I didn't used to drink a lot of water, but now I drink it all the time.
98. I met blogger Jasmine in person while in NY. She's very cool. We hit off so well that we're getting married.* She made fun of me for not ever having gone to Whole Foods.
99. I check my spelling while on AOL instant messenger.
100. I think everyone should do a 100 things list.
Even though I think it's funny, I'm still going to add this...
* We're not really getting married (though, never say never). It's sort of a longstanding inside joke between the two of us. Though, two people is pretty inside. Heh, maybe too inside.